How Long Does Food Stay Good in The Refrigerator Without Power?
Is food in the refrigerator safe without power? If yes, then how long does food stay good in the refrigerator without power? When the power goes, and you have a fridge full of fresh food and condiments. So you naturally start worrying will this food still safe to eat?
So, keep the one thing on your mind that how long the time it is.
It will be properly cooled about 4 hours if doors are unopened. Discard all perishable food.
Know about, how long does food stay good in the refrigerator without power?
- All food can be kept at least 4 hours if the fridge is left closed
- Discarded any perishable food after 4 hours without power: meat, chicken, fish, milk, eggs, cooked left, soft cheese, deli cold cuts/salads etc.
- Safe after 4 hours: Ketchup, mustard, reels, jam, jelly, olive, barbecue sauce, soy sauce, bread, rolls, bagels, cake (without cream or custard), cookies and magenta, some hard things, complete (Not cut) fruits and vegetables.
- Keep the door of the refrigerators closed as much as possible to maintain cold temperatures.
- Use the food thermometers to check the temperature of your food just before cooking or eating. Throw any food with a temperature of 40 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Fresh foods which do not really need refrigeration. Foods can be used as long as they do not touch fungus or Unusual smell:-
- Whole fresh fruits and vegetables
- Fruit and vegetable juice (without left)
- Dried fruits and coconut
- Breaded goods like fruit pies, roti, rolls, muffins, and cake (except those with cream cheese or Cream Filling)
- Tough and processed things
- Butter and margarine
- Fresh herbs and spices
- Nut herbs and spices
- flour and nuts
Never taste food for determining its safety. You can not depend on appearance or smell to determine whether food is safe or not.
Tips to prepare yourself before power emergencies:
- Make sure you have the equipment thermometer equipment in your refrigerator and freezer.
- Check to ensure that thing the freezer temperature is 0 ° F or less, and the refrigerator is below or below 40 ° F.
- In the case of an electricity outage, the device thermometer will help indicate the temperature in the refrigerator and freezer to determine whether food is safe.
- In the case of freezers, refrigerators, or coolers, the water freeze containers for ice to keep food cool. If your normal water supply is defecting or unavailable, the melting ice will also supply drinking water.
- Freeze and refrigerated items like as fresh meat and poultry which you may not need immediately.
- All food together in the freezer, this helps in keeping food cold for a long time.
- You have the cooler on hand to keep the refrigerated food cool if electricity will be off for more than 4 hours.
- Buy or make ice cubes in advance and freeze the gel pack prematurely. Store them all in the freezer for future use in refrigerators or coolers.
- Check local sources to find out where dry ice and block ice can be purchased, if it is needed.
Always get rid away any type of items from the refrigerator that have come into contact with raw meat juice.
If you want to evaluate an item separately is safe or discard, use this chart for your guidance:
|Which Food will be discarded after the power outage||Held above 40 °F for over 4 hours|
|soya meat substitutes: poultry, fish, raw or leftover cooked meat, or seafood||Discard|
|hot dogs, bacon, sausage, Lunch Meats, dry beef||Discard|
|Soft cheeses (blue, Roquefort, Brie, cottage, cream, Edam, Monterey Jack, ricotta, mozzarella etc.), low-fat cheeses, shredded cheeses||Discard|
|Egg products: Fresh eggs, egg dishes||Discard|
|Fresh fruits (cut/sliced), cooked vegetables, pre-washed greens||Discard|
|Fish sauces (oyster sauce), creamy-based dressings||Discard|
|Cooked pasta, fresh pasta, rice, potatoes||Discard|
|Which food will be safe after the power outage||Held above 40 °F for over 4 hours|
|Hard cheeses (Cheddar, Colby, Swiss, Parmesan, provolone, Romano etc.) or processed cheeses||Safe|
|Fruit juices, raw vegetables, canned fruit, fresh fruits||Safe|
|Peanut butter, jelly, taco sauce, mustard, ketchup, olives, pickles||Safe|
|Worcestershire, soy, barbecue, Hoisin sauces||Safe|
Food is the main source of energy. Fresh food and condiments make you healthy. Your body is your temple worship it with the food. Once a lady said
“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well if one has not dined well.”
Keep your food fresh with Sub-Zero up to long hours. As power cuts are the problems in some areas. Don`t try to keep doors open for a long time. It will cool your food and condiments up to long hours. Hope the tips provided in this article will be beneficial.